To protect a community’s public health and shield people from epidemics, constant vigilance by local officials is a necessity. Mobile data collection systems use is on the rise to safeguard public health, monitor health hazards, and decrease the spread of contagious diseases.
According to DC’s Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. has tens of thousands of contaminated sites that pose a threat to public health.
Public health experts commonly monitor many hazards such as trash collection areas, toxic fluid leaks and contagious diseases. They also educate consumers, communicating the need to follow hygienic lifestyles and to seek out medical aid when needed.Manufacturing, mining and natural disasters pose public health threats as well. Industrial manufacturing processes and mining for coal or other fuels negatively affect air quality, water purity and soil quality. Natural disasters such as tornados, earthquakes or wide-scale flooding may damage storage tanks, disrupt fuel lines and create other similar public health hazards.
Traditionally, health agency employees gathered data by taking photographs, gathering samples, conducting phone-based surveys with individuals and recording information on paper forms. Mobile data collection on smartphones and tablet computers, however, is gradually replacing paper-based forms.
For many communities – especially those areas that are financially disadvantaged — conducting health-oriented surveys via portable mobile devices has proven beneficial. The use of tablet computers and smartphones enables field employees to easily collect sizable amounts of data at a reasonable cost and over a wide geographical area.
This upward trend in the use of mobile data collection systems to safeguard public health will positively impact community health, reduce the presence of health hazards and decrease the spread of contagious diseases. COMMANDmobile® not only enables organizations to manage a workforce using mobile devices, but it also has benefits such as:
1) Greater accuracy – Because COMMANDmobile replaces paper survey forms, data is less vulnerable to accidental mistakes made while employees transfer data from paper forms onto computers.
2) Speed – Data can be collected, sent to head offices and analyzed by decision makers in real time, so resources reach affected areas more quickly.
3) Convenience – Users can transmit data gathered with COMMANDmobile immediately or save the data for later transmission, depending upon employees’ geographical location.
4) Geo-tagging – COMMANDmobile permits data to be geo-tagged so that supervisors can monitor employee progress through a survey area.
5) Customization – Survey collection forms are easy to tailor to an organization’s specifications.
6) Ease of installation – COMMANDmobile is compatible with iPhones, iPads, Androids and other mobile devices.
7) Ease of use – COMMANDmobile includes a frequently asked questions section and tutorials to simplify employee training.
8) Security – COMMANDmobile uses security measures to protect data integrity.
9) Two-way communication – Field employees may easily contact supervisors when additional advice or instructions are required.
For more information on COMMANDmobile, request a demo account or see our product information video.
Related mobile computing articles: