Mobile data collection and mobile workforce management solutions are ensuring public safety at the Olympic Games, stadium-based sports events, concerts or other events attracting large crowds.
The Olympic Games and similar large-scale sporting events are targets for terrorists or other groups seeking to gain publicity and attract the world’s attention to a particular cause. To combat security threats, various cities, teams and schools spend up to $2 billion per year on sports security, according to a 2011 ESPN magazine article “Industry of Fear” by ESPN senior writer Peter Keating.
To ensure the safety of competitors and attendees, the security for the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia and similar events with large crowds has become highly important. This year, over 6,000 athletes and their coaches, 25,000 volunteers, international journalists, multiple world leaders and thousands of sports fans will attend the Games, presenting a considerable security challenge to the Games’ organizers.
Although organizers for big events such as the Olympic Games still use conventional forms of crowd control – such as fences, gates, security cameras, X-ray machines and specially trained officers – to manage the thousands of people who attend these events, electronic security is an equally useful partner to other types of crowd security. Security badges and event tickets with barcodes that can be read by laser scanners ensure that only authorized persons are admitted into areas such as stadium seats and locker rooms.
Mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers have gradually made their appearance at large-scale sports events, such as the Super Bowl. During the 2012 Super Bowl held in Indianapolis, Indiana, for example, event organizers provided mobile devices to about 1,000 police officers, so that photos and video could be transmitted to a central control center and to fellow officers in police vehicles.
In the future, it seems that mobile data collection and mobile workforce management solutions such as COMMANDmobile® will become a popular method of ensuring public safety and health at stadium-based sports events, concerts or other events attracting large crowds. For the Olympic Games and similar types of events, COMMANDmobile provides multiple benefits:
1) Portability – COMMANDmobile works with easily portable iPads, iPhones, Androids and other mobile devices.
2) Faster data analysis – Data collection and transmission is quicker with COMMANDmobile, and the data collected by field users can be easily analyzed to determine the location of areas that pose risks to security or public safety.
3) Customization – COMMANDmobile’s forms are easy to customize as needed to suit the goals of a data survey.
4) Ease of use – Data collection and workforce management tasks are easier to accomplish and require minimal training for field users.
5) Better resource management – When public safety or health threats occur at large events, COMMANDmobile could be used by field employees to quickly communicate the need for more security personnel, ambulance crews or firefighters to decision makers.
For more information on COMMANDmobile and its abilities, request a demo account or view our video.
Related public safety links