This past April marked the 40th anniversary of the first call on a mobile phone – certainly one of the most important phone calls in technology history.
Today, mobile phones are everywhere in 2013 – with an estimated 6 billion mobile phone subscribers and a global smartphone population of over one billion.
The past several decades also have seen these handheld data repositories and transmitters become an integral part of 21st century industry.
Even Mining, Crude Oil, Natural Gas, and the resources industries have embraced the mobile revolution.
Recently, we came across this Oil and Gas IQ infographic summarizing the trends, challenges, and requirements related to mobile device implementation in the Oil and Natural Gas industry around the world. Below are some findings of their Oil and Gas industry survey:
- $168 billion will be spent on enterprise mobility through 2015
- $8 billion will be spent on Oil and Gas apps
- Currently, 71% of employees in the Crude Oil and Natural Gas sector use their mobile devices for work purposes
- Only 1 in 3 of the biggest Crude Oil and Natural Gas companies have their own apps
- iPads and iPhones will make up more than half of all mobile devices used for work by Oil and Gas companies in the next 12 months
- Crude Oil and Natural Gas companies expect mobile phone and tablet devices to enhance operations (28.6%) or greatly enhance operations (71.4%)
- 78.3% of these companies have implemented a mobility strategy or project
Mobile phones and devices will be used by Oil and Gas companies for:
- Work order/service management (58.3%)
- Field data collection (53.6%)
- Inspection (38.1%)
- Asset/equipment/tool tracking and management (35.7%)
- Email (34.5%)
- Sales force automation (34.5%)
- Routing/delivery management (27.4%)